The World of Nature




The colors shown here are reflected in Noro's yarns. I took these pictures on Thursday at the McGill Rose Garden in Charlotte.
  Click here for information about this site.   




Other than the scarves and hats I made when learning how to knit, a Noro yarn shrug is the first real garment I ever created. I had made a trip to Charlotte Yarn where I’d asked the young woman working there if she had any suggestions for a project for a beginner. She printed off a free Ravelry pattern for an Anthropologie inspired capelet, which is actually more like a shrug or short sweater. The woman showed me some Noro yarn and I was both amazed and hooked. For the knitter, the colors and textures of Noro yarns seem to multiply the tactile and visual pleasures and stimulation of knitting. Since that time I have purchased a couple of books with collections of Noro patterns and have made quite a few small projects as well as a cardigan with Noro yarn. When I visit a knitting shop, I also always make it a point to check out Noro displays to see if there are any new colors. With this love for this particular brand, I was thrilled when I found out that a new Noro magazine was in the works.
Last week, I bought a copy and my expectations were well met. In this publication, the vivid, engaging appeal of Noro yarns themselves is translated into clean graphic design and eye-popping images. I was actually a bit surprised at the positive impact the colorful pictures had on my psyche, immediately cheering me up and inspiring me to save some money to purchase enough Noro yarn for a large project. This impact of color never ceases to amaze me.
While featuring more than 35 designs, the magazine also includes information about Eisaku Noro, the founder and artistic visionary of the company. The article discusses how Noro yarns include the phrase “TheWorld of Nature” on their labels, and how the products are made using earth-friendly, organic practices. I am struck, however, by that particular phrase, as it sums up how the powerful play of colors and textures in the yarns reflects nature throughout the seasons. This new magazine, even though it can be found on the shelves now, is the fall issue, and includes some earthy colored, nubby-textured warm pieces, but there are also some projects that are reminiscent of summer gardens or the vibrant shades of butterflies. I was immediately drawn to some items made with yarn that includes stripes of an intense, almost iridescent cobalt blue. One of these garments, however, includes a neckline that is made using a steek. Yes, a steek. I am so enamored of this long sweater-vest, however, that I may have to be brave and attempt this technique. Of course, there is a note in the magazine that this sweater’s neckline can be made using a simple neckline shaping and binding off technique. One part of me, however, wants to attempt the steeking. While expensive, what better yarn to use to try out something new? If the technique works, the results will be amazing.
Finally, with a price of $7.99, Noro Knitting Magazine is a real bargain.
This vest features a steeked
neckline--a technique which ensures
that the horizontal striples line up
perfectly.




Comments

Popular Posts