Lavender Blue




Click HERE for the PDF pattern for these mitts.  (I apologize, but some of my other pattern links were not working properly.  I think I have them all fixed now.  Please let me know if a link doesn't work.)

Lavender Blue seemed an appropriate name for my fingerless mitts, since the yarn I chose is a hybrid mixture of blue and lavender.  The name seemed fitting for this time of year as well, when the countryside in my area is in full, colorful bloom.  

The song “Lavender Blue” (the inspiration for my design’s name) has an interesting history as it apparently has progressed from a rather bawdy 17th century work celebrating sex and drinking to the folk song below and also to a shortened nursery rhyme version. 

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly, lavender's green,
When I am king, dilly, dilly, you shall be queen.
Who told you so, dilly, dilly, who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly, dilly, that told me so.
Call up your men, dilly, dilly, set them to work
Some to the plow, dilly, dilly, some to the fork,
Some to make hay, dilly, dilly, some to cut corn,
While you and I, dilly, dilly, keep ourselves warm.
Lavender's green, dilly, dilly, Lavender's blue,
If you love me, dilly, dilly, I will love you.
Let the birds sing, dilly, dilly, And the lambs play;
We shall be safe, dilly, dilly, out of harm's way.
I love to dance, dilly, dilly, I love to sing;
When I am queen, dilly, dilly, You'll be my king.
Who told me so, dilly, dilly, Who told me so?
I told myself, dilly, dilly, I told me so.




This wool yarn from my stash, with its purple (and pink) hues, is also evocative
of springtime.  

These lyrics make me think of warm weather and springtime, so maybe the color of these mitts may serve this same purpose for their wearer in the heart of winter, although they would be an odd wardrobe choice for May—at least here in North Carolina.  I do know, however, that I often start thinking about winter knitting in the summer, and that season is almost here.  For me, school ends on May 24, and I am looking forward to having some time to work on some projects I’ve started that are suitable for cold weather.  


I couldn't find any lavender to photograph in the country yesterday but
did see some wonderfully deep, rich iris blossoms.  




With winter in mind, I've also been participating in a knitalong, where I'm making a Shetland Triangle Shawl.    Check out Girls in Sheep’s Clothing to see how the other participants are getting along with their projects.  


Comments

  1. We have been having a strange spring in North Carolina, at least that's what people have been telling me. I'm hoping that by the time I come back next week it will be warmer! I love the mitts, you are definitely a talented designer. I look forward to seeing all of the things you design in the future! I've been following that knit along, it looks like so much fun! I especially like yours. I'm glad that you are enjoying your summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fingerless mitts, Liz! I love that lavender / blue colour very much. Fascinating about the origins of the nursery rhyme - I love what lies behind these apparently simple and innocuous ditties I learned so many of, off by heart as a small child. Although as with Lavender's Blue, it's not always as innocuous as it may seem at first sight! Do you know about the origins of "Here we go round the mulberry bush"? Goes back to the murder of Thomas à Becket in Canterbury in the 12th C. The knights who murdered him tied up their horses to an old mulberry tree outside the cloister and so the song is about them tidying themselves up after their bloody deed. No wonder they needed to "wash their hands". A bit dark but fascinating nonetheless. Incidentally there is still a mulberry tree growing outside the cloister - thought to be a descendant of the original tree. May not be of course but rather amazing if true. Enjoy, if that's the right word, your last days of term. E x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts